Pages

Monday, February 11, 2013

Art Jewelry Boot Camp

I recently came across a blog challenge that seemed right up my street.  The Art Jewelry Boot Camp - run by the Love My Art Jewelry blog - gives a tutorial on a particular technique and then challenges you to do something creative with it.  The first challenge was to make balled head pins (have a look at the tutorial if you want to know how).  I’ve done this before – for example for this necklace - so I thought I’d do something I haven’t tried and balled both ends of the head pin to make a link.  



First, I balled one end of the wire and strung on two of the silver rectangles.  I then bent the wire into a semi-circle and scooted both rectangles out of the way and balled the other end of the wire – taking great care not to melt anything I didn’t mean to!  It got quite challenging to keep everything out of the flame as the chain got long!!  Here is a close-up of the links so you see what I mean…..


I like a bit of asymmetry so I added a couple of extra rectangles as a tassle (using balled head pins of course!) on one side. 

Go and have a look at the blog to see what other people have done with their head pins - you won't be disappointed, there are some wonderful designs.  

19 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks very much Niky - I thought it needed that extra flourish!!

      Delete
  2. This is so cool..I love the look and marvel at the technique. Nice!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelley, you are very kind - I'm blushing slightly!!

      Delete
  3. Wow! Great design! I love that you used it as a connection. Thanks so much for participating! It really is a blessing to see how everyone interprets one technique!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Staci. And thanks for making such an inspiring tutorial!

      Delete
  4. I love the length of your necklace and that it's also asymmetrical. It's a great design and looks comfortable and quite wearable. (comfort is a big issue with me)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I tried it at a few different lengths before soldering everything together and this was the length I was happiest with. I've been wearing it quite a bit and I'm happy to report that it is comfortable - and it stays in the right place.

      Delete
  5. That is fabulous! I would have never thought of a design like that. I love the slight asymmetry :o)
    MaryAnn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really enjoyed seeing this idea worn on the neck...great design!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great design for making connections with the balled headpins.

    ReplyDelete
  8. MaryAnn, Stacie and Mary - thanks so much for such positive comments. I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love asymmetrical designs! They always appeal to me and I like the extra surprise! I am really enjoying the way that people are using the double ended headpins in so many unique ways! Thanks for joining us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara. I've been enjoying seeing what everyone has been making. The variety is amazing. I'm glad I spotted the boot camp, I'm having a lot of fun with it.

      Delete
  10. That's so neat the way you used the headpins. I hadn't thought of using them that way. So shiny too. Thanks for inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So creative in using these headpins! Seeing the variety from other boot campers is so inspiring, isn't it?

    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynda. It is wonderful to see all the different ways of using the seemingly humble head pin!

      Delete
  12. yay, I received your BS today :)
    thank you, I love all beads you sent me, and the little birdies :)
    I can' t wait to work with you materials, I hope you will receive mine asap and you will enjoy it as much as I did :)
    thank you Dear!
    I'm making the blog post right now

    ReplyDelete