Tuesday, February 18, 2014


Over the last few weeks I've been experimenting with casting - using delft clay.  I've always been a little wary about casting because you have to get the metal crazy hot.  Being a bit accident-prone I was worried about accidently dropping red-hot molten silver on myself!  But I decided to be brave and give it a shot.  

I started with the handles of my Grandad's gardening cup.  There was quite a bit of silver in these but they were an awkward shape.  I decided to cast these into metal sheet that I could use for other projects.  It took a few attempts - either I didn't use enough silver or get it hot enough - so I got odd shaped sheets.  But eventually - like Goldilocks - I got it just right (bottom right)!  

They are still quite thick so I'll roll them out in the rolling mill and I'll have some useful silver sheet.

Bitten by the casting bug, I then decided to tackle my scrap pot.......

...and turned this.......

.....into this..... much prettier!

The silver flower is cast from a pottery flower I made last year.  It is now looking rather grubby from being in the delft clay but I was pleased with how well it cast.  

No comments:

Post a Comment